I feel very fortunate to be born in the 90’s. Being a 90’s kid I have seen so many revolutions, from a single television channel to I-don’t-know-how-many-channels to god-knows-how-many youtube channels. Back in the days (in the early 90’s), just one channel seemed enough. This one single channel, DD, gave me and probably many, a memory worth our lifetimes and one of its offering that still cracks up a smile in my heart is Shaktimaan. The show was a phenomenon, it was no less a sensation than the TV series like breaking bad or game of thrones. What is it that I loved about this series? What is it that made this a rage? Well here is a list.
1.Tamraj Kilvish. Back in the days Kilvish was my Joker. He was the baddest, meanest, cruel, malicious person I have ever seen in my life, then. And god, how I dreaded his line, “Andhera Kaayam Rahe”.
2. (Taking a deep breath) Pandit Gangadhar Vidyadhar Mayadhar Omkarnath Shastri (panting). This buck teeth man was the real charm of the show.
3. Aaj Ki Aawaz, the newspaper where Gangadhar worked as a photographer and Geeta Vishwas, who was the first to report about Shaktimaan.
4. That dumbfuck Guruji, he said things that I don’t understand even now. But I’m sure he told Shaktimaan to follow the path of righteousness.
5. And then, there the six chakaras from which Shaktimaan got his powers.
6. And not to forget his suit, golden and red with an emblem of sun. God, how I craved for that golden and red Shaktimaan suit, for my birthday. I remember that, I had my friend came wearing it to the school on his birthday. I hated him, but I couldn’t hold myself back from befriending him just to get a closer look of his suit and for once touch it.
7. Kilvish’s partner in crime, Dr. Jaikal. And his hook line Powerrrr (Power).
8. Jaikal also cloned other enemies like: Kekda Man, Jonk Jonkaa, an evil clone of Shaktimaan, Plastic man, Lightman, 3D-image, Super-heroine Sunanda and others. Here is one of them:
9. The best day of my life: When the air time of Shaktimaan was changed from Saturday 12 noon to Sunday 12 noon. (If something of that magnitude would happen now then it I would be like fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fucking awesome.)
10. Speaking of which, Shaktimaan, Shaktimaan, Shaktimaan (He puts is hands up with index finger thrusting up and spin like with a sound like fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck). Be honest and tell me how many did not try spinning like him, probably saying fuck, fuck, fuck… or a version of it??
11. And the best part of it was the small segment in every episode, “Choti Choti Magar Moti Baatein”. The part when Shaktimaan would give us valuable life lessons. He would stand on a huge building, watch kids, in India, do something “wrong” things and then he is like “Theero”. Yesa nahi karte and blah blah blah…. Andthen the kid goes like “Sorry Shaktimaan”.
P.S. : I hope you haven’t forgot the lyrics. For those who have, check this out:
Follow us on twitter
Like us on facebook